Thursday, February 01, 2007

What a day!

"...let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you." Psalm 5:11

We've had quite a day ... crummy in a big way and yet, it's always such a privilege to witness God's hand in an almost tangible, concrete way.

Ed was in a car accident this morning. He's fine...but he was t-boned by a 3/4 ton work truck in his company mini-van. On his side of the car! He was at fault - he was in an unfamiliar area (a small town about an hour outside of Des Moines) and didn't see a stop sign. His car is totalled and the truck that hit him is in bad shape. It was a bad accident. He was taken to the ER in an ambulance where they did an EKG and X-rays of his chest and knee. Fortunately, no serious injuries. His knee is pretty banged up and his sternum is bruised and he feels pretty lousy.

God's hand of protection was so clearly on him in this situation. The truck that hit him, hit just behind Ed's driver door...a fraction of a second made all the difference in him walking away or not. He said the passenger side of his van looks like it was hit...until you see the driver side! Yikes!

There are so many things I've praised God for today:

*The phone call I received was from Ed...and not a dr or police officer.
*Ed is not seriously injured...or worse.
*His front seat passenger (one of his managers) & the driver that hit him were not injured.
*He did not have any backseat passengers (esp our kids!), as they would have likely been seriously injured.
*The diligence Nationwide uses in choosing company cars. They chose cars that perform well in crash tests...and go out of their way to buy cars with added safety features.
*The totally immediate response of the prayer team at our church. I sent out an email and received several phone calls and offers to help with the kids, to bring dinner, etc within MINUTES! I was completely overwhelmed! I'm telling you, my church family totally ROCKS!
*The calls of support, concern and prayers that came from family and friends out of town.
*My friend, Ericka, that totally 'gets' me in a way few others do, calming me down and praying with me over the phone.
*Ed's boss driving to pick Ed up and bring him home.
*Getting my hands on my husband!!!!! Finally!!!
*When I went to fill his prescriptions for pain meds and muscle relaxers, I couldn't find a prescription benefit card (does that tell you how many prescriptions we buy???), so I figured we'd be paying through the nose. Two prescriptions = $8!!! With no insurance!!! I was stunned!
*The kids have been truly remarkable today, despite the fact that I spent much of the morning on the phone and stressed out!
*Dinner is in the oven...and all I had to do was stick it in!!! Thanks SO much, Dara! I didn't think it was necessary, but man, it really is PERFECT on a day like today!
*My little family is all together tonight!
Thank you, God for your amazing grace, mercy, protection and mighty provision for us this day! What an awesome God we serve!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Dara,

Thanks so much for bringing Angela and her family dinner tonight. I feel so grateful that you are in their lives!

Thanks to your church body as well for their support and comfort. It's hard for us to be far away from them at a time like this!