Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Divinely Distinctive

I went to my homeschool support group meeting last night. It was my first 'real' meeting to attend, since the last one I went to was an orientation. The speaker was AMAZING! She has six children and has been homeschooling for 27 years! She talked about knowing our Purpose, our Power, our Privilege, our Process, our Peculiarity and our Perseverance.
The one that stood out to me the most was Peculiarity. She made the point that in order to homeschool, you do have to be somewhat peculiar! :-) She also talked about how kids have a natural URGE to be like everyone else. How they want to fit in. How they don't want to stand out in a crowd. They just want to be "normal" or "common." BUT, that's not the role God calls any of us to. We, as parents are called to teach our children that they are precious jewels...not common pebbles. We're to teach them to BE different...exclusive...distinctive...special. She also talked about how heroes of the Bible stood out in a crowd. Once they were used by God, they didn't blend in. They didn't 'fit' in. They didn't just go along with the crowd. We must learn and teach the PRIVILEGE and POWER of being DIVINELY DISTINCTIVE! Peculiarity, as the world sees it, is God's way of blessing! Wow!
Another thing that jumped out at me was about Perseverance. Those of us with perfectionistic tendencies don't want to try or do things we don't think we'll excel in. We don't want to run a race we can't win. Her point: You can't WIN if you don't RUN!
I also got to join a Mentoring Moms group! I'm really excited. Its a small group of parents that are in their first or second year of homeschooling, led by a long-time homeschooling mom! I'm super excited about getting plugged in to that!

No comments: