Monday, February 26, 2007

Tweaking

Wow...time sure flies when you're having fun! We've been homeschooling Jordan since October and Jacob since January. It seems longer in some ways and much shorter in others. I have enjoyed this far more than I expected! God has certainly affirmed this for our family in so many ways.
It continues to be a transition and I find I'm tweaking things a bit each week. This week, we're starting a program called Accountable Kids. Its not just for homeschooled kids. Its a behavior/reward/discipline/family/chore/accountability system all in one. The name says it all. I found it a tad pricey, but it is sharp and my kids are excited about it. Anyway, today has been super-productive, smooth and genuinely enjoyable! I've always been a huge fan of Flylady and this is sort of a flylady-for-kids, if you will!
I'm really proud of my kids. They have worked hard and are making great progress. We're beginning to add Jadyn in for some activities and she thinks she's hot stuff!
Jordan is doing well. She still loves doing school. She reads more and more everyday. She's doing well with math - finally 'getting' double digit addition and single digit addition & subtraction. She's getting stronger, physically, with the help of ballet (which we practice everyday) and some P.E. type activities we have on our NACD program. We do lots of oral and fine motor stuff everyday, too. We're working through 'What Your Kindergartner Needs To Know' for some core concepts as well.
Jake is still amazing me everyday. He's doing great with reading and writing and even better with math. We started multiplication last week (how crazy is THAT for a 4 year old??? Its just his thing, so I'm letting him run with it!). We're also using a very hands-on science curriculum all about the human body, so he's loving that. He'll be evaluated by NACD in July for a homeschool program and to help us fill in any gaps, like fine motor stuff. He's already finished 'What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know.' When we started this, my goal was to have him ready for first grade in the fall. Looks like that's far more achievable than I originally thought & that we'll be doing at least some 2nd grade work! WOW!
We all love to brag on our kids ... one nice thing about a blog is it gives me a way to do just that!

1 comment:

amain said...

I forgot how much I enjoy the FlyLady~ thanks for the reminder!
And way to go on the success with homeschooling!!!