Saturday, August 15, 2009

I {heart} NACD

If you know me or have been reading my blog for a while, you may be sick of me talking about NACD. But, one thing is for sure, you also know how blessed I feel to know about and to have my kids on program with the National Association of Child Development.

Most recently, they've added a new website specifically about Down Syndrome. Lots of good information for families and others interested in issues related to Down Syndrome. Check it out HERE.

I have received several emails recently from people that research NACD and "stumble" on my blog in a google search. Because of that & because they all ask how I found out about/got started with NACD, I want to share how my journey with NACD began. It's a story that only God could weave together like this ...

I have twin brothers that are 14 years my junior. My baby brothers, never mind the fact they now tower over me! They were having some learning issues (including Dyslexia) when they were in early elementary school. In an attempt to save them from Special Ed, my mom pulled them out of school, began homeschooling and started on program with NACD. I was in college at the time and didn't know details about what my mom was doing, but within a few months, there was a profound difference in both of them. Within just a couple short years {relatively speaking}, they no longer had symptoms of Dyslexia and were no longer on program with NACD! There was no denying the progress that had been made, the success that was attributable to (my mom's hard work and) NACD's approach and program. I didn't realize/appreciate at the time just what an impact it would have in my life!

A few years later, when my daughter was born and we learned about her diagnosis of Down Syndrome, I knew immediately that I would (at least) give NACD a try. We took her to her first appointment in Dallas when she was only 6 months old. It was overwhelming, but also very empowering. I was so impressed with the way Lyn looked at Jordan as an individual. She talked to me about what she saw as her weaknesses and needs & asked what my priorities were for Jordan. She mentioned some issues to monitor closely that tend to be common in children with Down Syndrome, but she never mentioned an approach or a program for Down Syndrome. She gave me a unique program that was specifically for Jordan (and me!).

We have now been on program for 8 1/2 years. I am not only on board with the neurodevelopmental approach in general, but I also treasure having their expertise and help when it comes to providing the best possible future for my daughter. My 7 year old son is also on program (a homeschool program) and in addition to a God-given gifting, I attribute his acceleration in large part to NACD.

I have little doubt that eventually our other children will be on program as well. NACD doesnt pay me/compensate me in any way for promoting them (although maybe they should??? A discount might be nice :)). I just really believe in it!

I'm always open to answering specific questions or emails about NACD, but hope this will answer the question I am asked the most!

No comments: