Sunday, October 25, 2009

Changes in my Kitchen!

I have a favorite new book ... Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.
Its not for the faint of heart. In fact the subtitle is "The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats." Yeah. Like I said. The subtitle actually had me at hello. Then, I started reading.
This book WILL challenge everything you've always "known" to be true about health, diet, foods, etc. If you don't want to be challenged in that, DO NOT read this book.

Even though its technically a cookbook, much of it reads like a book. Like a research book. And I like research - especially about this topic. It has helped re-invigorate a passion in me for good nutrition and serving my family in that manner.

Many of you know that as a family we made some drastic diet changes back in 2002-2003. We nixed sugar, wheat, corn, cow dairy, soy and others. Then, in Dec 2005, we moved to Iowa. And started homeschooling. And had another baby. And moved again. And again. And, well, I just got lazy in the food department. We still stayed mostly gluten-free and organic at home, but I was very lax when we were out and found myself using more processed foods than I knew I should & I had allowed the sugar to creep back in. Its sort of like exercise. As long as you're in the habit and rhythm, it becomes part of your life. But, when you stop, going back is really hard! Being lazy is just much easier. Or at least it feels that way until you get your butt off the couch and feel the adrenaline rush of regular exercise! (can you tell what I need to do?)

In the last few months, Jordan has developed psoriasis. It took months to even get a diagnosis and now that we have one, we're still not any further ahead. After trying everything in my arsenal of natural remedies, we've resorted to a conventional dermatologist. Anyone that knows me, knows that isn't my preference and certainly not my first choice. But, the biggest part of going the "alternative" route is being responsible for your health. And, frankly, laziness just doesn't jive with that! Besides, there is a time and place for medicine. I don't have a beef with conventional medicine, I have a beef with the OVER-USE of conventional medicine & a beef with anyone being in control of your health except you. But, that's a soapbox for another day.

My point today is that I've decided its worth the effort to take the reigns of my family's health once again. So, what I know to be true is that skin issues=liver issues. I'm not brave enough to try a cleanse on a 9 year old, so that means I need to feed her foods that help the body detox. She's a GREAT eater. But, she ain't THAT great. She is nine, after all. So, we supplement. That's all well and good. But, still, we're not getting ahead of the autoimmune disease.

Then, I get my hands on Nourishing Traditions (NT) and it just rocked my world. I am learning so much! It is overwhelming in many ways, but much of it lines up with what I've been researching lately. Especially with regard to soaked and sprouted grains. I've been grinding my own grain (!!) and while I haven't made soaked or sprouted grain bread yet, I have made soaked pancakes, flatbread and granola bars. All yummy and big hits with the kids. I won't lie. Its really time-consuming. I've spent a lot of time in the kitchen lately. But, I'm quickly figuring out how to plan and streamline it all. Planning is really the key. I've pretty much always had some sort of menu plan, now that plan just requires a little more planning! LOL! For example, to make the soaked flatbread, you have to have yogurt (which takes a full day to make), plus grind wheat & mix with the yogurt and let that soak for 24 hours ... then, you roll out the dough! Even though its basically a 3-day process, it doesn't require any extensive amount of time on any one day. Its just the PLANNING that's important!

NT is not about being gluten or dairy free ... or free of anything necessarily. Its about eating the foods that are good for our bodies in ways that our bodies can use. There are many recipes and most of them are time-consuming. Some of them are downright daunting. I said its not for the faint of heart. Its also not for the time-crunched. I know that probably doesn't "sell" you on the book, but I'm just calling it like I see it. Everything in life is a trade-off and the changes I'm making in my kitchen are worth it for our family in this season. That may or may not be the case for your family.

Here's the irony of this book. About half-way through, I dug out some of the diet stuff I'd gotten from my midwife in Iowa (remember the food-nazi?). Guess the ONE book she recommended? Yup. I just wasn't ready then. Now I am. At the end of the day, that's what it takes. She planted the seed and God watered it in His time. So maybe I've planted the seed for you! :)

3 comments:

Sleep, what's that??? said...

Thanks for sharing Angela, will pass that on to my parents as well. Will be checking it out! ;o)
I know that sage tea is a GREAT liver cleanser, so if you can get her to drink that...

Angela said...

Thanks, Mandy! Maybe with a little honey or stevia I can get her to drink it :) We'll see!

The Cabe Family said...

Can I just say that I'm just tired from reading this post? (And VERY convicted!!) Glad it's working for you!!! :)