Monday, June 04, 2007

One Man's Trash...

We had a garage sale this weekend. I have a hard time parting with things. I don't know why, but I usually figure I'll need it 'someday!' I think that's a pretty common trait with packrats. Anyway, I've been holding on to all kinds of furniture and stuff for the last year and a half, thinking we may be able to use it in our next house, even though we don't have space here. Since we're using a chunk of our basement as a school room, its forced me to widdle down the amount of stuff in storage. So, I parted with some things...ok, a lot of things. And, the bonus is that it earned us $450!!! It feels good to have less stuff crammed in our house (especially the basement).

When we set up the garage sale on Friday, the weather didn't look like it was going to cooperate. Sure enough, after about 2 hours, it was raining. So, we pulled everything back in to the garage and closed up shop. A couple hours later, we decided we'd get out and run some errands. We'd left our garage sale signs up and as soon as I opened the garage door, 3 cars pulled up and people were in our garage 'shopping' before I knew what was happening! It was hilarious! Needless to say, we were open for business and actually made the bulk of our money on Friday! Go figure!


2 comments:

Dara said...

oh bummer I missed it. I loved your garage sale last year - we are still enjoying the thomas movies and the end table that I got - it was definitely my treasure find of the year - I love that table!!!

Anonymous said...

Man, we are having a block garage sale this weekend and I am trying to convince jon to leave work early on Friday and run it. I have heard from so many people that Friday was their best day! I will have to have him read this :)